Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day Four - Bagels, Buses and Broadway

Well, the Yankees lost to the Mets 2-1 last night, but we had great seats and my friends bought me a pretzel and crackerjacks! I learned that the American national anthem is call the Star Spangled Banner, written by a man named Francis Scott Key. It doesn't sound anything like O Canada, but I liked it, especially the "rockets red glare" part because they set off fireworks in the stadium!

Today is Saturday, so I am planning to do some sightseeing. At first I went to Starbucks, because I heard everyone talking about their coffee. I didn't stay because I didn't understand anything the people in there were saying. I don't know what a "half-caff-skinny-carmel-soy-mocha" is, but I was pretty sure I didn't want it!

So, I left Starbucks, and decided to I start my day with breakfast at Tom’s Restaurant. Tom’s is famous because it was regularly used in the very popular T.V. show, Seinfeld.


I asked my waiter what to order for breakfast, and he told me if this was my first time in New York City, I had to try a “bagel all the way”. He explained to me that it is a toasted "everything" bagel (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion, garlic) with A LOT of cream cheese, red onion, lettuce, tomato, capers (which I thought tasted like green olives), and Lox, which is smoked salmon.

At first I thought he was kidding with me, because I have never heard of anyone eating something like that for breakfast! He assured me it was not a joke, so I tried it and to my surprise, it was delicious! I told him that I really liked it, but I didn’t think I could eat one every day! My waiter said neither do people in NYC. In fact, when asked, most people in New York answer “just coffee” if you ask them what they have for breakfast. I guess that's because they are always in a hurry!  


                                          "BAGEL ALL THE WAY"


Fun NYC Factoid:

Because people in New York City drink so much coffee and always seem to be in a rush to get somewhere, the term "a New York Stir" was born. The term means that you pour your coffee in a "to-go" cup, dump in the milk, or cream and sugar and run out the door. While you are walking (or running), you plug the hole in the lid of the cup with your index finger, flip it upside down, shake it to mix the milk and sugar...and that my friends is a "New York Stir"!





After breakfast I took a tour on one of NYC’s guided tour buses.  It was lots of fun because you can get off and then get back on wherever you want! There are a lot of these tour buses around the City, so as long as you have a ticket, you can ride any bus you like!

ME ON MY TOUR BUS



On my tour I got to see Times Square where they drop the ball on New Year’s Eve. It was really crowded because it is a very popular tourist area. I didn’t like all the people because I was afraid of getting stepped on, so I got back on my bus!

ONE TIMES SQUARE


Later, I am going to a Broadway show called The Championship Season. It’s not a show for kids, but Mrs. Gauthier said that since I am 22 years old, it will be ok for me to see. I am really looking forward to it!
THE BRIGHT LIGHTS OF BROADWAY!



Fun NYC Factoid:

The average temperature at midnight in New York City since the ball dropping tradition began in 1907 is 33.7 °F (1 °C). The coldest event was in 1917 when the temperature was 1 °F (−17 °C), the second coldest was 11 °F (−12 °C) in 1962. The warmest ball drop was 58 °F (14 °C) in both 1965 and 1972. It has snowed during the ball drop just six times out of 103 events, 1926, 1934, 1948, 1952, 1961, 1967 and it has rained multiple times.

No comments:

Post a Comment