Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Arrival in NYC




I have just arrived in New York City! My trip was very pleasant and everyone here at the Montessori School of Manhattan is very nice. Mrs. Gauthier (the Principal) and her staff are very excited to show me around New York City and help me learn more about their government.
On my way down here from Canada, I spent a lot of time talking to the USPS Mail Carrier, Harvey, who brought me to my final destination. Luckily for me, Harvey was a history teacher her in New York before he retired, so he was able to tell me a little bit about the structure of the entire United States government while I was riding in his mail truck!
Harvey explained to me that, unlike Canada, the United States had to fight for independence from Britain. After the War of Independence, the founding fathers of the United States were very concerned about the abuse of power that can occur when one branch of government gains too much political power. As a result, in the American system of government, power is separated among the Executive (Congress), Legislative (Law Makers), and Judicial (Judges) branches of government. A system of “checks and balances” is put in place through the powers given to each branch of the government in the United States Constitution. This system gives all three branches of government the power to veto another’s decision if they are abusing their power. The most prominent example is the Presidential Veto, which means that The President, who is the head of the Executive branch of the federal government, can veto, or reject, legislation that has already passed both the House of Representatives and the Senate.
Just like the Federal government of the United States has three levels, the State of New York and the City of New York also have Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches. While I am here visiting New York City, I want to learn as much as I can about their local government.
Since I will only be here for one week before I have to return home, I will only have time to explore one branch of the New York City government. I have decided to focus on learning about the Executive branch. I hope to visit the Mayor’s office, as well as the NYC comptroller, Public Advocate and if I have time, the five Borough Presidents. I also hope to do some sightseeing while I am here.
Check my blog: http://www.andyadventurer.blogspot.com , for more updates about my adventures in the Big Apple!
 
FUN NYC FACTOID:
In the early 1920s, "apple" was used in reference to the many horse racing courses in and around New York City. “Apple” referred to the prizes being awarded for the races. The term was popularized by a writer for the New York Morning Telegraph, John Fitzgerald. It is rumored that Fitzgerald got the term from jockeys and trainers in New Orleans who aspired to race on New York City tracks, referring to the "Big Apple."
In the late 1920s and early 1930s, New York City's jazz musicians began referring to New York City as the "Big Apple." An old saying in show business was "There are many apples on the tree, but only one Big Apple." New York City being the premier place to perform was referred to as the Big Apple.
A 1971 campaign to increase tourism to New York City adopted the Big Apple as an officially recognized reference to New York City. The campaign featured red apples in an effort to lure visitors to New York City. It was hoped that the red apples would serve as a bright and cheery image of New York City, in contrast to the common belief that New York City was dark and dangerous. Since then, New York City has officially been “The Big Apple”.

No comments:

Post a Comment